The defensive tower
We do not know exactly when the defensive tower (Torrione) was built; an hypothesis places the building in 1442.
The defensive tower was painted (together with the Basilica) in a fresco guarded in the Medici Castle in Melegnano, near Milan. This work of art can be considered the first and most ancient representation of the fortified village of Lecco (painted in the first half of the 16th century).
The ongoing investments from the military point of view went to the detriment of the growth of the village of Lecco, which was pent within its walls and continuously had to defend itself from several attacks.
The dwellings of rich people were then built in the near quarters that expanded while the village of Lecco remained choked by its military structure that had previously made it so crucial in the eyes of powerful personalities.
After 1782 Lecco lost its status of military fortress and finally started its growth and expansion process that would have led to its becoming a town.
Vieni a Lecco
Don't miss the chance to spend an amazing hour in the history of this town, climbing up inside one of the highest clock towers in Europe and get a wonderful view of the city surrounded by the lake and its mountains.Reservations
Per contributi e offerte
C.C. BANCARIO Parrocchia San Nicolò
IBAN: IT21E0323901600670002154758 Causale: Progetto Campanile San Nicolò Lecco